Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Food Fiction: Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies



I'm starting a new thing on my blog--Food Fiction. It's a combination of two of my favorite things--books and food. I noticed that the characters in my books are often eating, (and usually really well) so I thought I'd share not only a portion of a book, but also a recipe. If you're an author or a reader and you'd like to feature a bite of your favorite book and along with a recipe, please contact me at kristyswords@yahoo.com.

From the soon to be released Dreaming of You and Me

After Cole put Barry to bed—something he hoped to only have to do once in his life—he found Nora sitting on Barry’s porch clutching a mason jar full of cookies.
“What’s this?” he asked.
Nora stood and held out the jar. “A thank you token.”
“You don’t have to do that,” Cole said, but he took the jar anyway. “Are these cookies?” he asked hopefully.
 “Chocolate peanut butter. I love them…I hope you will too.”
“Want to share?”
“Tonight?” her voice squeaked with surprise.
“Tomorrow, lunch? We can take the horses and go on a picnic up Dawson’s trail.” He noticed her hesitation and wondered if he’d misread her. “Do you have plans? I know it’s late notice…”
“No, I would love to go. I just…” She leaned forward and said in a small voice. “I’m not great with horses.”
“Let me introduce you to Betsy, she’s almost as old as her namesake, Betsy Ross, and she’s as gentle as sleeping poodle.”
“That sounds great,” Nora said, hoping that there wasn’t anything in her tone to suggest she felt otherwise.
No Sugar/No Flour 
Peanut Butter Cookies
These peanut butter cookies are delicious and you will NOT miss the sugar at all, or the FLOUR.
Ingredients
1 large egg
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. water
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the egg, sugar substitute, baking powder and vanilla for about a minute.
Add the peanut butter and water and beat together.
Mix in a cup of sugar free chocolate chips
The mixture will be pretty dry; just make sure the peanut butter is blended in with the other ingredients.
Measure out a heaping teaspoon of batter for each cookie and place on a baking tray that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or lined with parchment paper.
Then using a fork, make indentations into each cookie. Spray the fork with cooking spray so it doesn't stick to the cookie.
Bake 15 minutes until cookies feel firm and are slightly browned.
Transfer the cookies to a baking rack and cool.



1 comment: