Tuesday, July 19, 2011

No man is an island entire of itself- John Donne

Today my computer whizz son is uploading my book so that the rest of the world can read it. My talented daughter made the front and back covers. The picture on the front is of my youngest daughter and we took the photograph on my friend’s stairs. (Eventually, we didn’t use Molly’s staircase, but it was nice of her to let us pose around her banisters.) Miranda, my daughter the model, is holding a necklace that we borrowed from her friend, Summer.

I started Stealing Mercy about eighteen months ago. I had a goal of winning the Romance Writer’s of America’s Golden Heart award and to help me meet that goal, I asked a friend and prolific romance writer to help me. Which she did. I didn’t win the award and (even though there might be some of you who don’t believe me) I’m grateful for that fail as it would have put me on a different path.

I belong to Orange County Fictionaires, a writer’s group made up of incredibly talented and diverse writers. I’m honored and humbled to be among them. I like to think their wit and intelligence has made me a better writer (and person.)

Wendy Moon edited my book. Many people have read it, and although I’m not going to list them all, I want them to know how much I appreciate their helpful feedback and encouragement.

I’m also indebted to my sister-in-law, Cynthia, who helped me to see a bigger picture and a better plan than the one I’d been pursuing. One weekend at her home changed my perspective and my career objectives.

And, while I’m passing around my gourd of gratitude, I have to mention my husband. He’s been holding my hand for twenty-nine years. I know he’ll never let go, no matter what insanity comes our way, and for that stability and security I’m profoundly grateful.

Finally, I have to thank the source of all good ideas. I believe there’s a muse for every creative endeavor and I pay humble recognition to mine. I had the idea for my very favorite scene in Stealing Mercy while worshipping in the temple. While my mind was supposed to be occupied on more spiritual things, I had the idea of Mercy baking tarts laced with a sleeping potion. I stopped believing in coincidences a long time ago and started having faith in a God that’s concerned with giant and important things and who also has a sense of humor about stories, tarts and sleeping potions. I really can’t adequately express my appreciation for His guidance in my life.

So thank you, all of you, for the gift of this novel. I hope in some small way, it repays the tremendous debt I owe to the world for all I’ve been given.

Stealing Mercy will go live within a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment