Thursday, February 3, 2011

To Cultivate or to Costco?

This year I made a goal to send my novel out into the world twenty times. Twenty times equals, perhaps, twenty rejection letters… At least it always has before. It’s true, I’ve won awards. I’ve been given encouraging words, pats on the head, chucks under the chins. I hate this part of the process. I’m not good at marketing. I’d much, much prefer to be cloistered in my room, weaving stories and creating characters.

But, this novel’s done and what do I do now? Even though I’ve the sequel in my head, a story that I find captivating, the thought of writing for no one, again, has me paralyzed. And so today I’ll go to Costco. Paint a bathroom. Organize a cupboard.

And yet, I read something this morning that spoke to me. Here’s the actual quote. Boyd K. Packer: “Plant your fruit trees. Cultivate them, fertilize them, watch them grow, and enjoy the fruit thereof. If the end comes during the process, so what? Do not deprive yourself of enjoying the fruits of your labors by living in fear of the world’s problems that lie ahead.”

This is what I read: Write your stories. Cultivate your characters, nurture them, watch them grow and enjoy your time with them. If in the end, they’re never published, so what? Do not deprive yourself from enjoying the fruits of your labors by living in fear of the rejection that lies ahead.

Today, I’ll go to Costco and I’ll organize the cupboard, but soon, I’m going to enjoy the story that wants to be told.

Another quote. M. Russell Ballard. “I believe if we think about what it takes to be successful long enough and if we are willing to discipline ourselves to the principle of success, we will experience success. Yes, I am a great believer that “as [a man] thinketh in his heart, so is he.” (Prov. 23:7.)

And just one more. George Bernard Shaw said: “People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. People who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them.”

1 comment:

  1. Hurray!! That is great self talk. I was just talking about true writers who say the characters are in their minds and want their story to be told. I think you are either born to be a writer or not, (and you definitely are) it isn't something you can create. True you can learn the skills and improve on your innate abilities but if the creative characters aren't within you a story won't be born. So keep writing and putting their stories out there.

    ReplyDelete